Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ban Bikes on the Brooklyn Bridge?

It's not going to happen anytime soon, but this op-ed in today's New York Times raises some interesting ideas about the ongoing battle between pedestrians and cyclists, and suggests that a protected bike lane be added during the forthcoming road rehabilitation.

As much as I love running over the bridge, it's also - run at your own risk - during the summer months and peak tourist weekends. And especially when it gets crowded and I am running, I spend an inordinate amount of time with my neck getting an extra workout as I look behind me to avoid getting crunched.

I'm not a regular cyclist, but I'd be willing to posit that the Manhattan Bridge bike lane is a much more preferable route of getting into the city (or back into Brooklyn.

Thoughts from those who bike? run? or both? over the bridge?

2 comments:

ChickenUnderwear said...

There just needs to be better signage on the Brooklyn Bridge. Banning Bikes is extreme.

Stuart Alexander said...

I run across the south lane of the Manhattan Bridge. I bike across the north lane of Manhattan Bridge. The only time I cross the Brooklyn Bridge anymore is if I am on a dazed tourist stroll, or the weather is lousy or it is very early or very late. The rest of the time it is too insane. Over-populated.