Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New Qualifying Race for NYM 2010

I know, I know, you've been saying - there just aren't enough qualifying races for New York. I don't have enough opportunities to run in Central Park. Race fees are too low - I want to pay *double* what I've been paying. And really, really - I hate racing on the weekend - let's have an early morning weekday race!

Your prayers have been answered. Just announced: There's a NYRR 5 for family, friends - oh heck, anyone who wants to run on Friday morning, Nov. 5 at the healthy hour of 8 a.m.

(Me: Hi, boss, off to run a road race
(Boss: What? Are you kidding?)

Note there is precedent, particularly the Empire State Building climb earlier in the year, not that I want to make that argument (have done that in the past)

The course is one of the five mile variations. The race fee - right now - is a whopping $40 for members and can be up to $50 for non-members if they register after Oct. 21. (There better be a technical T-shirt at the least).

Based on my quick tally, that means, including this weekend's mile race, there are 10 other Q races remaining for New York (excluding the marathon itself). Oddly enough, while you can sign up for all the others, you can't yet sign up for the NYRR Holiday Run in Prospect Park on Dec. 11 (which makes me wonder if there's an issue with that race - either the date, location or both).

No comments: