Saturday, August 29, 2009

Saturday's Run

Fresh with the knowledge that a) I was going to get wet this morning, b) I didn't win the MegaMillions jackpot and c) I had no idea if my increasingly fragile legs were going to let me complete the daily run, it's not surprisingly that I approached today's adventure with some trepidation.

Happily and surprisingly, the run itself was delightful, with the only problems coming from some fatigued legs (and an aggravating search for water fountains at one point). After a run up from Brooklyn Heights to Grand Army Plaza, we went down Eastern Parkway down to Bedford Street, then over the Williamsburg Bridge. I headed back from there, then went down along the water (Kent/Flatbush), while others stayed to do a longer run in Manhattan.

Overall, a decent run. It's the first time I've taken the shorter route over Williamsburg (if you're facing Manhattan, is the path on the left that leaves off of Bedford). I'm not a huge fan of the bridge - it's a concrete morass and I'm not particularly fond of the approach to Brooklyn (the hill just seems to stretch forever). But it's a great place to get in some decent training, and well worth it to incorporate as part of your longer run.

The route here is slightly longer than I did today - when feeling up to it, I love to drop down to Brooklyn Bridge Park in Dumbo, and then finish along the Promenade, so I've included it here. (I'd normally embed the map in this post, but am having some mild technical problems).

1 comment:

ChickenUnderwear said...

I missed Saturday's run, so I decided to go over the Williamsburg today. Took a different route. GAP to Brooklyn Bridger, cross Chambers, South and around the Battery. Then I continued north to the Williamsburgh. What a dreary run (not preaty and no water fountains)back to Park Slope. Ain't gonna do that again for a while.