Saturday, June 7, 2008

Exploring Brooklyn

OK. Am preparing a run with some colleagues that will entail 7-8 miles (perfectly acceptable in the early morning before the day became simply oppressive) when a splinter group forms and suggests we go running from Prospect Park out to the Shore Road Parkway.

Brandishing my single water bottle, I ask, "Is there enough water?" (Key point one: Bring enough water). "Sure." I'm told.

Seven miles into the run ... ehh, maybe not. (But then we hit the park, and all was good. Except the temperature, which was now into the mid-80s).

Anyway, the run out toward the Verrazano Bridge was a pleasure for the most part, and took me out a long a route that I hadn't taken. The key here -- rather than just slogging down 4th Ave, we hugged the permiters of the Greenwood Cemetery and stayed on 5th Ave (which had Sunset Hill, which I wasn't as thrilled by) before heading down Bay Ridge Ave to the pier.

Then it was along the water before we turned around and headed back through Shore Road and Owl's Head Park (and found this wonderful three-sprinkler park, perfect on this scorching day).

To be fair, there are plenty of places to buy water along the run (though I'd recommend porting your own). And the parks do have water fountains and even a bathroom.

It's also good prep work for the inevitable Shore Road/Coney Island loop, which will be part of my marathon training this year.

A map (roughly drawn) is below:

No comments: