Sunday, May 4, 2008

More Brooklyn Half blogs

Gowanus Lounge has a link to a set of photos. To be fair, I thought about lugging a camera along, or even stashing one in my bag for before and after photos. It was a thought I revisited, fruitlessly, while sitting on the F-train around Avenue J yesterday morning ...

From Michael's Swim-Bike-Run Adventures (awesome photo on the front page, BTW):
About a quarter mile into yesterday's Brooklyn Half, just when I was briefly turning my head to glimpse at the Ocean to our left, I found myself slipping and sprawled out on the Coney Island Boardwalk. Even with this mishap, the beginning of the run was just about perfect ...

(My comment: This is why I wasn't looking at the scenery. Friggin' boardwalk. Might as well as start the race on the Dumbo cobblestones).

From Jennifer at eastcoastwestcoast:
And at mile 10, I saw the clock at realized that I was on a great pace! I kept on cranking and sprinted into the finish line, knowing that I had likely just achieved a personal best in the half-marathon. And WOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

From pay a visit:
Only a crazy person would get up at 6:15 a.m. to run 13.1 miles. My husband is crazy. ... I watched him cross the finish line, and I have to admit it was pretty exciting.

(My comment. I also got up at 6:15 a.m. after I ignored my watch alarm, so I could spend an hour on the F-train. I don't think I'm crazy, merely that I have my priorities in the right place (and I didn't arrange for a ride.). Then again, I didn't pay money to get a NYRR ride from Manhattan).

From jamesara:
The bad thing about it is that is pretty much perfectly flat for the first 10 miles, then you have the hills of Prospect Park to contend with. So many races end on an uphill. Why? It's like a slap in the face. It's sadistic. Maybe these courses are chosen by people who aren't runners but whose spouses are, and it's a way to get even. The other bad thing about it is how long it takes to get Coney Island on the subway from where I live. I got up at 6:15, left home a few minutes after 7, and got to Coney Island at 8:45! ... They let us wash up and then we went to have lunch at the Chip Shop, replacing and probably far exceeding all the calories I had burned off in the race. So worth it. I was too full, however, to have any of their delectable deep-fried desserts - the deep-fried Twinkie is truly a...a...well, I can't possibly describe it - I mean, it's a freakin' deep-fried TWINKIE!!!

(My comment: More to come. I've got to say, this is fun, because these give me a completely different view of the race from my own narrow perspective).

1 comment:

Diane said...

Thanks for linking to my blog way back when! Just noticed. I still think all of you long-distance runners are just a *little* crazy. :-) And I've told my husband to check out your blog!