Friday, January 18, 2008

Once A Runner

So I'm getting ready to head out from work today (tonight) when a colleague drops a copy of "Once a Runner" on my desk - a book I've been seeking for months. Read the opening pages on the subway home tonight, and I've got to say, it so far lives up to the billing as *** the best running novel ever *** Why? Because, at least so far, it captures the true sentiment of what it's like to be running on a team, along with the nuances that are hard to understand ... unless you've been there. That's what makes it work.

On Sunday, while I avoid running outside to watch the Patriots (inside), you may see a few choice quotes from the book by John Parker. It's out of print, and selling for hundreds of dollars on EBay, and not listed as available at any of the Brooklyn libraries, so it's a treat to be able to savor.

"Again to Carthage," the sequel, was excerpted by Runner's World, though I wasn't able to convince my family to give it to me for Christmas.

Speaking of running books, anyone have some thoughts as the best reads? I have some ideas, which I'll post later ...

No comments: