Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Brooklyn Heights Gristede's Fire

Not quite a running post, but a fire engulfed the Gristede's in Brooklyn Heights this evening (a place at one point where I bought my Gatorade, so we'll make a very weak transition). Walking by it, I saw lots of smoke, no flames, which may be an indication of an electrical fire.

Photos are posted at the Brooklyn Heights Blog, and they'll likely keep track of the cause. No injuries reported yet - hopefully everyone made it out in time and no firefighters were hurt.

3 comments:

BrooklynHite said...

I never knew about this blog, I was googling stuff about the fire and serendipitously came across it. I'm a runner who lives at the corner of Cranberry and Henry (infamous within my building as the guy who stretches and runs in all kinds of weather). I had just been to Peas and Pickles last night and was at home changing for my evening run (!!!) when I smelled smoke. Funny little world, isn't it?

rundangerously said...

i caught the news story on the fire - but missed seeing your link to the coverage.

i lived a block away from gristedes (on hicks). we had shopped there plenty of time when we lived in the heights (as well a d'agostino's down the street).

what an eye opener!

Brooklyn Runner said...

One thing that's interesting is how news dissemination is changing. Rather than waiting for the local paper coverage, or even the newscast that evening, people were actively searching out news on the fire - there was a spike of hits on the blog because of the link that I posted, even though, obviously, this blog is devoted to running in Brooklyn.

Yeah, the demise of the D'Agostino's was sad, though when Garden of Eden came in, there was just no way it was going to survive.