Saturday, December 1, 2007

Markings on Cadman Plaza Park Path

Someone has marked off distances on the path in Cadman Plaza Park in Brooklyn Heights - shocking I tell, you shocking. Someone has no decency, giving runners an opportunity to do a speed workout and accurately measure their pace ... Hah!

Various workouts appear possible, though I've still got to figure out exactly where they end. But a 200, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1400 and mile are all possible. It's also not clear if they are in yards or meters.

The full loop, by the way, measures 0.41 miles - 2,164 feet, or 721 yards (this from the New York Parks department). If you include just the synthetic path, that's 0.36 miles, or 1,900 feet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a nice running surface

Brooklyn Runner said...

It's a great running surface, I agree. And the synthetic turf, which I'll confess I'm not a huge fan of (I'd rather they kept it grass), is great for doing 100-meter sprints and low-impact bounding workouts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I've been looking all over the web trying to find the distance for the rubber running track at walt whitman park in brooklyn.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful park. I feel like I'm in Paris when I go for a run.

It's disappointing however, to witness dogs on the playing field when it's prohibited.

C Bennem said...

Sorry: I must be dense. Is the red rubber surface the synthetic surface (.36 miles)? if so, what constitutes the full loop?