Sunday, November 11, 2007

Ongoing Running Debates

Among the many ongoing running debates is whether to shop locally and support your local running store (i.e. JackRabbit, Slope Sports et al) or go online, where you can generally get savings that beat anything from the store.

The problem/advantage that places like Road Runner Sports and National Running Center offer is that, for a yearly fee, you can get all sorts of cool stuff and special offers.

What you don't get is the special attention that running stores can offer, essential when you are looking at new kinds of running shoes, etc.

So, note the following order I placed with National Running Center today (enticed, I must say, with the offer of a free Frank Shorter running shirt). I'm a member, paying $30 a year to do so. With that, I get 10 percent off all orders as well as free UPS ground shipping.

-- A 24-pack of Vanilla Gu
-- 3 pairs of Coolmesh running socks
-- 1 pair of Hind Alpha running shorts
-- 1 Under Amour heat-gear running shirt (I have two UA hats and LOVE them)
-- 1 pair of Hind running tights
-- 1 Frank Shorter long-sleeve running shirt (which, as mentioned, was free with a $100 order)

Total cost, including shipping: $109 (and no, the colors weren't ugly - I had plenty of choices).

I probably saved at least $30 on comparable items, and I picked up most of the gear that I needed to get me through the winter. And still I feel vaguely guilty ....

No comments: